24 May, 2011

Milked dresser

Wow finaly  got to finish the dresser from the shop.
Anyone that went upstairs in onto the Hydrangea Room would have seen it. Unfortunately after the fire we found it had been badly smoked and water damaged, but after lots and lots of time and hard work I have brought it back to life.


It now looks fantastic (if I don't mind saying so myself) I love the milked look although I didn't do it with milk paint. Vicki did buy me some Milk paint powder although I had already started on it with watered down flat acrylic.

The fire did some real surface damage to it, luckily its all solid wood and no man made. The back was pine paneling which I had to take off and throw out because it warped so much with the water and heat.
This is the dresser not long after the fire. You can see the water damage by the white marks and the smoke damage was in everywhere including inside the draws.

So from here it was water blasted and dried then disassembled including removing the glass, knobs, backing, doors ext. Everything was sanded then sanded and then sanded. I then applied the watered down home made milk paint. Then yes more sanding, sanding and sanding till I got this finish. I then applied straight boil linseed oil, let that dry for a few days then about 4 coats if bees wax with steel wool and then cloth.

Looking at now it was worth it ...and it does look better in real life, the image doesn't justify it.

Sorry but this one is't for sale but as a guess a solid heavy timber dresser like this would retail for around $2000 but one milked and displayed like this would be around the 3 mark I think.

Next few weeks will have the table finished that I had posted last. It would have already been finished although I changed the base colour a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment